Anyone who knows me would know that I like (actually, love) Apple products. My first apple was the very heavy iPod with the hard disk and click wheel. I remember I was in college when I first bought it out of my savings, I did skip a lot of lunches just to be able to buy it. I would enjoy my everyday 3 hour long commute from our house to the school because I can listen to all my favourite songs. From then on, I just swore I would use and buy any product Apple launches.
Fast forward to present, I just ditched my trusty old Macbook Air in favor of the new Macbook. I’ve read the reviews alright but I think when you want something, it doesn’t matter what the naysayers would think. I’ve watched a lot of negative reviews about it and the only saving grace they say was the form factor. But still, I ignored all of those and bought the Macbook.
The only reason I upgraded my laptop was because it was running out of storage. I only have 256gb on it from another old Macbook air which had 128gb on it that I bought when I first came to Dubai. This time, I wanted the gold Macbook and I needed 512gb. I need it because I want all of my songs in there plus I use it for work. If I do use a Windows computer, I don’t know if I’ll ever be productive so I just use the same computer for both personal and work related usage. So just to give a mini review and probably a suggestion if you’re undecided on whether to go for this one or buy the other models, here are my top reasons for buying the new Macbook.
- The design and looks are perfect. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any laptop as sexy as this. Sometimes, I catch myself just staring at it because it really looks good.
- It’s powerful. The geeks would tell you it only has this much memory and processor is this and that but the truth is, if you know where and how you’re going to use it, you’ll be surprised at how fast it is and how much you can accomplish. I would look for a file in here and just type a portion of the filename in the spotlight and boom, the suggestions are in front of you.
- The retina display. When I was using the Macbook air before, I was ok, I said it’s just a laptop, I don’t need retina, it doesn’t matter and I would convince myself that I don’t need to upgrade. But when I bought this and started using it, I just can’t believe what I’ve been missing out all this time. The screen is gorgeous and it’s perfect when you download a retina hd wallpaper to match.
- The sound. You wouldn’t believe your ears when you hear the sounds coming from this little monster. I am impressed at how Apple squeezed it into its tiny body but I’m not complaining. Most of the time, I just don’t use my earphones anymore and opt to listen to the built in speakers. They are that good. 👍🏻
- Portability. Lastly, I love how light this is. I carry it all the time and since it’s so light, you’ll feel like a book is heavier than this. You can even use a power bank to charge it. If you’re going to use it for just casual browsing and to watch videos and listen to songs on iTunes, it will last you a good 5 or 6 hours. You don’t even need to bring a charger with you all the time. The only downside is, there is only USB-C port and you would need an adapter to be able to use more than 1 port. As for me, I got to live with it now although I did buy an adapter just in case the need arises.
Overall, I would recommend this machine for casual, light users only. Those that just needs to get the job done on a day to day basis, those who deal with spreadsheets and presentations and minor photo and video editing. Obviously, it’s not meant for heavy video editing but you can use it to make short videos and tweak some photos. I’ve tried creating a short video using iMovie and it worked really well. After about 2 months of usage, I would say it has never failed me, not even once. I can still remember those times when you open a Windows computer and then it gives you the blue screen when you did in fact shut it down properly the night before. I don’t miss those days. I’m glad and thankful we have choices now and I’m proud to say I made the right choice with this one.